2021 Elementary and Middle School Cross Country Program
The Knoxville Youth Athletics Elementary and Middle School Cross Country Program is an eight week program for all girls and boys grades 3-8 that teaches the fundamentals of distance running with weekly competitions including an Area Championship meet that allows participants a chance to qualify for the Tennessee State Middle and Elementary School Cross Country Championships in October. In many counties surrounding Knoxville (including Knox) cross country is not a funded school sport at the elementary and middle school level. The Knoxville Youth Athletics serves to help fund, foster and expand a sport that provides positive health benefits to its participants. If your school does not have a program and you would like one we can get you started. Everyone is welcome, whether your school has a program or not, you are home-schooled or you just love to run.
You must register online prior to your first practice (no exceptions).
DATES ARE TENTATIVE
|Information Link (click on link below)||Date / Deadline||Additional Information|
|Meeting for all NEW teams / programs only||July – 6:30PM||Provision Health and Fitness (Map)|
PROGRAM REGISTRATION LINKS
Elementary School /
|August 9- Online Program Entry Opens||$35.00 per athlete program fee – covers entire season except the State Meet. Registration Video Tutorial|
|Parent Meet Volunteer Sign Up|
|Parents Info Package 20|
|The Long Term Approach to working with Young Distance Runners|
|Participant and Spectator Race Etiquette (Important)|
|Inclement Weather Policy|
|Lost Child Protocol|
|Bib Numbers Explained|
|ONLINE ENTRY INSTRUCTIONS||8/31/21 – Deadline to Register|
|7/22/2021||Meeting for all NEW teams / programs only – 6:30 PM Provision Health and Performance – Required for all new teams and coaches||Provision Health and Performance (Map)|
|7/27/2021||ES-MS Coaches Meeting 6:30-8 PM – Provision Health and Performance||Provision Health and Performance (Map)|
|8/8/2021||ES-MS Coaches Clinic – 2-4 PM – Provision Health and Performance||Provision Health and Performance (Map)|
|8/9/2021||Online Program Entry Opens||Elementary School Sign Up / Middle School Sign Up|
|8/31/2021||Deadline for Teams to submit Online Rosters|
|8/31/2021||Deadline for Unattached runners to Register Online|
Health and Safety
- If you cannot answer “NO” to all of these questions, you cannot attend a meet or practice:
- Have you been quarantined/isolated by a healthcare provider or health department in the past 14 days?
- Have you had close / face to face contact for 10 or more minutes with someone who has COVID-19?
- Are you feeling ill?
- In the past 24 hours have you had a fever, cold, shortness of breath, loss of sense of smell/taste, vomiting/diarrhea?
- If your temperature is 100.4 or higher, you and your household will not be permitted to come to the meet and will have to leave. If you answer yes to any of the other questions, you will not be permitted to the meet for a minimum of that day and up to 14 days dependent on the situation or cleared by their school policies.
- If a child is quarantined by their school or another entity, they are not permitted back at practice until they are cleared to return by their school policies.
- If an athlete tests positive, every athlete/coach that is told to self-quarantine by their school or other entity will not be permitted until they are cleared to return by their school or work policies.
- Hand sanitizer will also be available for anyone to use during the meet at high contact areas including portas and restrooms. Teams should have hand sanitizer as well.
- NO WATER WILL BE PROVIDED. COME PREPARED WITH ALL THE WATER YOU NEED. NO SHARING WATER. Teams can arrange to bring bottled water.
- Coaches must remain 6 feet away from all athletes unless wearing a mask.
- Athletes must remain 6 feet away from all athletes or wear a mask unless running or on starting line.
- MASKS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR ATHLETES WHILE COMPETING BUT MAY AT THEIR OWN DISCRETION. Coaches may wear masks if they cannot socially distance.
- Athletes should not enter team area until 45 min-1 hour prior to wave. We ask that team parents stay out of team areas unless assisting the coach and wear a mask at all times that 6 feet of distance cannot be maintained.
- Athletes and spectators may not spectate at the start line or finish area. Only athletes competing in that wave should be at the start and all athletes must exit the finish area immediately and go back to team area.
- We will utilize “wave” starts this season. This will keep the number of athletes on the starting line small while still allowing for competition and racing. The size of the wave will be pre-determined by KYA and the facility host. This will be reflected in the online registration for the event and capped at that figure.
- Coaches may pick up their packet about 45 minutes before their first wave.
- Athletes should avoid being in the team area more than 45 minutes before their wave. Parents should NOT be in the team area except if helping the coach with preparing the team for competition.
- Areas marked with “Caution tape” will be areas that you CANNOT spectate. These will typically be around the starting area and finish area.
- Clocks at finish and start will be synced with the time of day so that you know as a coach/spectator/athlete what time your race will start.
- Race courses are setup so that there is little to no overlap between waves and no cross-overs where athletes could crash.
- The race courses will be setup to be run autonomously and likely will not have a lead cart or cyclist.
- After the athlete finishes, they cannot hang around at the finish area, must return to their team area and leave if your household is done racing.
Safety Forms/COVID Waivers. Parents must fill out the Athlete Protocol Form, Parent Protocol From and Waiver. Coaches must fill out Coaches Protocol From and Waiver.
DATES ARE TENTATIVE AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE
|Date||Time||Event/Activity||Location||Map||Course Maps / Videos||Additional Information||Parking Map|
|8/29/2021||2-4 PM||Group Run||TBD||Map||Open to all parents / participants preview of course Saturday at the Victor Ashe Park Fall Classic||Parking Map|
|9/4/2021||Meet Page||First ES/MS Cross Country Meet||TBD||ES-MS Map / ES-Video / MS-Video||Meet Info – Wave Starts|
|9/5/2021||2-4 PM||Group Run||Cove Lake State Park||Map||Open to all parents / participants preview of course that will be run on Monday and Tuesday|
|9/8/2021||6:15 PM||Second ES Cross Country Meet||Cove Lake State Park||ES Map / Video||Wave Starts||Parking Map|
|9/9/2021||6:00 PM||Second MS Cross Country Meet||Cove Lake State Park||MS Map / Video||Wave Starts||Parking Map|
|9/12/2021||2-4 PM||Group Run||Walters State – Sevierville||Map||Open to all parents / participants preview of courses that will be run on Monday and Tuesday|
|9/13/2021||06:15 PM||Third ES Cross Country Meet||Walters State – Sevierville||ES Map / Video||Wave Starts||Travel / Parking Map|
|9/14/2021||6:15 PM||Third MS Cross Country Meet||Walters State – Sevierville||MS Map (Same as ESx2 loops / Video||Wave Starts||Travel / Parking Map|
|9/19/2021||2-4 PM||Group Run||Melton Hill Park||Map||2PM – ES, 3PM MS, 4-6 Unguided||Open to all parents / participants preview of course that will be run on Monday and Tuesday|
|9/20/2021||05:00 PM||Fourth ES Cross Country Meet||Melton Hill Park||ES Map / Video||Wave Starts||Parking Plan|
|9/21/2021||05:00 PM||Fourth MS Cross Country Meet||Melton Hill Park||MS Map / Video||Wave Starts||Parking Plan|
|9/26/2021||Group Run||Knoxville Livestock Center||Map||Open to all parents / participants preview of course that will be run on Monday and Tuesday|
|9/27/2021||06:00 PM||Fifth ES Cross Country Meet||Knoxville Livestock Center||ES Map / Video||Wave Starts||Parking Plan|
|9/28/2021||06:00 PM||Fifth MS Cross Country Meet||Knoxville Livestock Center||MS Map / Video||Wave Starts||Parking Plan|
|10/9/2021||10:00 AM||Area ES / MS Championships – RACE TIMES SUBJECT TO CHANGE||Victor Ashe Park||Map||ES Map||Elementary School – Qualifier for the Tennessee State ES Cross Country Championships – Meet Info||Parking Map|
|MS Map||Middle School – Qualifier for the Tennessee State MS Cross Country Championships Meet Info|
|9:30 AM – Elementary Girls Wave|
|9:40 AM – Elementary Boys Wave|
|9:50 AM – Elementary Girls Wave|
|10:00 AM – Elementary Boys Wave|
|10:15 AM – Elementary Girls Invitational|
|10:30 AM – Elementary Boys Invitational|
|10:45 AM – Elementary Awards|
|11:30 PM – Middle Girls Wave|
|11:45 PM – Middle Boys Wave|
|12:00 PM – Middle Girls Wave|
|12:15 PM – Middle Boys Wave|
|12:30 PM – Middle Girls Invitational|
|12:45 PM – Middle Boys Invitational|
|1:15 PM – MS Awards|
|10/23/2021||10:30 AM||Tennessee State Elementary School Cross Country Championships||Victor Ashe Park||Map||ES Map||Meet Info|
|10/23/2021||01:00 PM||Tennessee State Middle School Cross Country Championships||Victor Ashe Park||MS Map||Meet Info|
|10/26/2021||04:30 PM||First Practice – Post Season Cross Country Program – Elementary and Middle||All Sites||Program Info|
|11/1/2021||4:30 PM||First Practice – Post Season Cross Country Program – High School Non-State Qualifiers||All Sites||Program Info|
|11/9/2021||4:30 PM||First Practice – Post Season Cross Country Program – High School State Qualifiers||All Sites||Program Info|
|11/6/2021||10:00 AM||KYA Time Trials (ES/MS ONLY)||TBD||Meet Information|
|11/13/2021||10:00 AM||SEAAU XC District Championships||Victor Ashe Park||Map||Meet Information|
|11/19/2021||05:00 PM||KYA Time Trials (HS ONLY)||Hardin Valley Academy||Meet Information|
|11/20/2021||08:00 AM||CCCNYC Championships||Lexington, KY||Meet Information|
|11/21/2021||08:00 AM||KYA 5K PR Classic||Sequoyah Hills Park||Meet Information|
|11/27/2021||08:00 AM||Footlocker South||Charlotte, NC||Meet Information|
|12/4/2021||08:00 AM||AAU XC Nationals||Tallahassee, FL||Map||Meet Information|